Crucial m4 Firmware Update to 0009
Micron and its consumer brand Crucial is now releasing a new firmware for the M4 SSDs, which is more than welcome news for your humble SSD correspondent who is currently struggling to review this particular drive but have run into problems with hardware incompatibility issues and occasional startup freezes. The new firmware makes a few promises along those lines, along with improved performance by up to 20%.
The Crucial m4 (also known as the Micron RealSSD C400 in its OEM version) is a really popular drive; mainly thanks to its performance per dollar spent. Judging from other reports not everyone have had these freezing issues but for anyone doubting I can confirm that they indeed exist. Kicking the performance up another notch is another pleasant side effect of the 0009 update.
According to the changelog, the update also provides faster boot, improved compatibility with different chipsets (thank you) and fewer problems during a cold boot. Crucial latest firmware for the m4 SSDs is available from the official website. Needless to say, backing up all important files before the update is strongly recommended. Cloning the entire drive is an even better idea.
- Changes made in version 0002 (m4 can be updated to revision 0009 directly from either revision 0001 or 0002)
- Improved throughput performance.
- Increase in PCMark Vantage benchmark score, resulting in improved user experience in most operating systems.
- Improved write latency for better performance under heavy write workloads.
- Faster boot up times.
- Improved compatibility with latest chipsets.
- Compensation for SATA speed negotiation issues between some SATA-II chipsets and the SATA-III device.
- Improvement for intermittent failures in cold boot up related to some specific host systems.